Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Time Capsule Process Booklet

We shall not cease from exploration
and the end of our exploring
will be to arrive where we have started
and know the place for the first time.

T. S. Eliot
Little Gidding/
Four Quartets



This is my booklet for the process of developing my idea for a time capsule for IAR first year students. I chose interlocking "puzzle pieces" for the outside to reflect my chosen concept, community and the idea that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts". (These pieces aren't included in the scale model due to material availability, but you can see the idea in my sketch models.)
The cube shape is a fundamental form for design now and had been throughout history. Most buildings, furniture, and much ornamentation are made up of one or more cubes or rectangular prisms (except for Frank Gehry's and e.s.!) Cubes have special meaning to the 1st years as well!
I designed a small bench that is easy to move because the time capsule has to be here for 20 years. I wanted it to be useful and portable.
The top opens so that artifacts can be tucked away until the big reunion.




No comments: