Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Pencil Box IAR 101 9.14.07

The Assignment: Design and create a container for the pencils we use in this class. Pay particular attention to craftsmanship. Materials: Matte Board, Paper, Adhesives.

First Iteration: I started with a box with two drawers. I made the dimensions correspond to the Golden Ratio. But I ended up with a huge (13.5" tall) out of scale, ugly monstrosity. I then thought about going with a hexagon outer shape with a 6-sectioned inner holder in order to mimic the 6 sides graphite (the Carbon atom) nd the 6 sides of a pencil. But I saw that another student had done that so I dropped it. Next I decided on a matchbook/easel design I saw for a small notebook in the Levenger's catalogue. I did two iterations, and had trouble with the scale. To make the closure work, the total height woul have been 9 to 10". Another problem was making something to hold the easel in place so the 2 sides wouldn't slide apart. I wanted it to be integral to the design and easy to use. The one I made was clunky and looked out of place. Below you can see my prototypes.
The Last Iteration: I knew that I wanted some reference to China/Asia a source of incense cedar used for pencils. I also knew I liked the simplicity of the matchbook closure. I discarded the idea of the easel, and rotated the closure so it was on the right side, instead of at the bottom. The paper I used provided the Eastern look and it has a wonderful, soft texture. It's a tone on tone tissue paper. The blue dragonfly paper was serendipity. Suzanne noticed a glue mark on the paper I originally chose, so I went to Adam's for replacement. The dragonfly paper continues the Eastern reference and the blue works better with the cover paper. Yeah!

Lessons Learned: Measure twice, cut once is an understatement. I measured numerous times, cut numerous times, and started again--numerous times. I'm still not happy with the scale. It's rather large for just four pencils. But, I like the look of the papers, and the softness of it. It's a pretty piece.

No comments: