Thursday, September 6, 2007

110 Contour Sketch 9.4.07

Once upon a time, during my first round of college, I decided to switch from an English major (the major for which I was genetically and socially programmed) to Biology. That meant taking Chemistry. And I had no idea what that teacher was yapping about. But for some reason,probably pure stubbornness, I decided I was absolutely, positively going to understand all those symbols and formulas. And though it took some tears and a few temper tantrums, in time I had a revelation. I saw the world as a chemist and it changed the way I looked at everything from a piece of chalk to a poem. Drawing is like chemistry--unknown. And I'm definitely in that frustrating, "I'll never get it" part (though I seem to have outgrown the tantrums!). But I know I'll get to that epiphany and I'll see the world through the eyes of an artist/designer. And I'll get to see chalk and poems in a new way--again.

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

Hey I read a comment you left me concerning the Aesthetics of crackskullbobs blog, and this picture is actually very nice in the same kind of sense. I remeber in class when he talked about the roof line actually having no angle to it, and I see in your sketch that there is no roof AND the line is very precise enough to show depth to the building. I really like it. Keep up the work!

Melia Danals said...

hey sarah! i really like the perspective you've created in this! the windows, lights, and smokestacks all help with it a lot. nice job!